Can you believe we won’t see this day again until 2020? Let’s take a moment to appreciate 29th of February 2016 by learning 16 facts about the mysteries of Leap Year.
- It only happens once every four years, like the Olympics or the elections.
2. Leap Day is necessary because the Earth doesn’t revolve around the Sun for exactly 365 days in a year (it’s more like 365.2422 days). This is why we need an extra day every four years to clear up the “mess”.
3. Julius Caesar is to thank for our Leap Year, as he introduced it in around 46 B.C.
4. It is a long-standing tradition for a woman to propose to a man on Leap Day. In the past, if a man refused the proposal he would have been expected to pay a penalty. (Wow!)
5. People born on Leap Day are called ‘leaplings’ or ‘leapers’. Cute!
6. The frog has become a major symbol for Leap Day, and many schools take part in froggy-based activities such as playing leap frog or musical lily pads.
7. If you’re on a fixed annual wage, you’ll be working for free on Leap Day. Have fun!
8. There is currently an ongoing campaign to make 29th Feburary a bank holiday.
9. One in five Greek couples will avoid getting married this year, as they believe Leap Year brings bad luck.
10. Rapper Ja Rule (remember him?) was born on a Leap Day which means he’ll turn the tender age of 10 this year (but technically he’ll be 40). Either way, it’s a pretty special day for him!
11. February 29th is the anniversary of when Hugh Hefner opened his first Playboy Club in 1960.
12. There is a 2010 movie about Leap Year. Surprisingly, it is called Leap Year and stars award-winning Amy Adams and British actor Matthew Goode. It revolves around the story of a woman who plans to travel to Ireland to propose to her boyfriend on the 29th Feb.
13. February 29th is also Rare Disease Day, dedicated to generating awareness for uncommon diseases such as cystic fibrosis and Lou Gehrig’s disease. To get involved visit their website.
14. Today marks the anniversary of the death of Davy Jones (lead singer of the Monkees) who sadly died from a heart attack at age 66 in 2012.
15. People born on Leap Day can enroll in to the The Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies club for free!
16. The city of Anthony, which sits between the border of Texas and New Mexico, is named the Leap Year Capital of the World, and hosts a four-day festival to celebrate.