On 6 July 2016, a certain mobile game was released that would go on to become the next big craze. Pokémon Go, the game that gets you out in the real world catching and battling Pokémon, quickly went on to become a huge success, racking up millions of downloads and earning some serious money. Here are 12 unbelievable facts about Pokémon Go’s runaway success.
It’s earned $1.2 billion in revenue, even though it’s free to play
2. $950 million was earned in 2016 alone
3. As of June 2016, the game still attracts 65 million monthly players
4. It’s been downloaded over 750 million times
5. In its first day, it earned between $3.9 million and $4.9 million
6. It was downloaded more times from the Apple App Store in its first week than any other app in history
7. By 7 December 2016, people playing the game had collectively walked 8.7 billion kilometres, which equates to walking the length of planet earth over 200,000 times
8. It took the game just 90 days to generate $600 million in revenue
9. When it was released in Japan, it was downloaded 1.3 million times in the first three hours
10. It took just 19 days for the app to top 50 million downloads
11. When it was released in the US, it took just 13 hours to become the highest-grossing app
12. The average iOS user spends more time playing the game every day than they spend on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram
I'm a Classics graduate and have been writing for over three years. Hopefully going to go into novel writing some day. I'm mostly interested in theme parks and roller coasters - I've been on 300 coasters and plan on going on lots more!