The midlife crisis is something we all have to look forward to – there’s absolutely no escaping it! Studies suggest it hits both women and men at around 44 years of age, and it lasts for an average of four years. Thankfully to modern media, we are prepared for the majority of symptoms, and no TV show has given us a better insight than Jennifer Saunders’ Absolutely Fabulous. It follows the lives of two ageing women, Edina “Eddy” and Patsy, who are forever struggling to come to terms with getting old. Here are all the ways they prepared us for it:
1. Discovering that the fear is real, and it’s a very scary thing.
2. Never getting used to all the hormonal changes.
3. Constantly fretting over your weight.
4. Lying about your age at every opportunity.
5. And being deeply insulted when anyone remembers your actual age.
6. Not being able to relate to pop culture anymore.
7. Yet trying to be “down the kids” anyway.
8. Thinking you’re still “hip” enough to attend rock concerts.
9. Having uncontrollable mood swings.
10. Making catty remarks about other women (especially younger women).
11. Trying to remember how to flirt.
12. Reminiscing about your past.
13. Realizing that you haven’t had a good night’s sleep in 3 years.
14. Wondering how you’re still able to keep physically active.
15. Going to extremes to pay off the rest of your mortgage.
17. Getting confused a lot of the time.
18. Taking up an unexpected hobby.
19. Contemplating Botox.
20. Finally, coming to terms with your midlife crisis and being happy with yourself just the way you are.