Though Fifty Shades of Grey became a worldwide bestseller, selling countless millions of copies around the globe, it’s safe to say that not everyone holds the erotic novel in high regard. The writing style has come under fire from many a critic and reader, with some expressing shock at how a book written in such a way could become such a high seller. Here are some quotes from Fifty Shades of Grey that the critics didn’t exactly take kindly to. Some are slightly convoluted, some are poorly written and some just don’t make any sense at all.
‘I can almost hear his sphinx-like smile through the phone.’
2. ‘I’m all deer/headlights, moth/flame, bird/snake – and he knows exactly what he’s doing to me.’
3. ‘His voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel… or something.’
4. ‘And from a very tiny, underused part of my brain – probably located at the base of my medulla oblongata near where my subconscious dwells – comes the thought: He’s here to see you.’
5. ‘My insides practically contort with potent, needy, liquid desire.’
6. ‘My very small inner goddess sways in a gentle victorious samba.’
7. ‘My inner goddess looks like someone snatched her ice cream.’
8. ‘I imagine him as an old-time movie director wearing jodhpurs, holding an old-fashioned megaphone and a riding crop. The image makes me laugh out loud.’
9. ‘His lips are parted – he’s waiting, coiled to strike. Desire – acute, liquid and smouldering, combusts deep in my belly.’
10. ‘My anxiety level has shot up several magnitudes on the Richter scale.’
11. ‘I am all gushing and breathy—like a child, not a grown woman who can vote and drink legally in the state of Washington.’
12. ‘I feel the colour in my cheeks rising again. I must be the colour of The Communist Manifesto.’
I'm a Classics graduate and have been writing for over three years. Hopefully going to go into novel writing some day. I'm mostly interested in theme parks and roller coasters - I've been on 300 coasters and plan on going on lots more!