fbpx
Home World The Simple Reason Why There Shouldn’t Be A Second Brexit Referendum

The Simple Reason Why There Shouldn’t Be A Second Brexit Referendum

On 23 June 2016, the Brexit vote took place. Over 33 million votes were cast and the result was that 51.89% voted in favour of leaving the EU, with 48.11% voting to remain in the EU. The result was obviously very close, though it was still a majority; there was a clear outcome and that was that the UK was going to leave the EU. However, since the vote took place, it’s safe to say that things concerning Brexit haven’t exactly gone swimmingly.

via Pexels.com

The UK is set to formally and officially leave the EU at 11 am on 29 March 2019, all things going well. While there are those who still in favour of leaving, despite all the fuss and carry-on, there are those who are very vocal about wanting to remain – former Prime Minister Tony Blair, for example. There have even been calls for a second Brexit referendum. Another former Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, said he believes the people of the UK should be given a second vote. But should they?

via Thetelegraph.com

The simple reason is no – there should never, ever be a second Brexit referendum. The reason for this is very simple: we, as a country, democratically voted to do something, i.e. leave the EU. Until we’ve left the EU, the purpose of the vote hasn’t been fulfilled. If we’d voted to remain, then simply continuing to remain in the EU – i.e. doing nothing – would have satisfied the purpose of the vote.

via Pexels.com

Theresa May herself has said there won’t be a second Brexit referendum. It’s looking very unlikely that there will be one – and rightly so. But what if, for argument’s sake, there was? If we voted to leave a second time, great. If we voted a second time and the outcome was that we wanted to leave, then what? What would our leaders do? Satisfy the majority who voted to leave the first time round, or appease the majority who voted to remain the second time round? We voted to leave and the whole Brexit business has become very convoluted, chaotic and quite fierce at times. Matters like this should always be as simple as possible for the sake of both the voting public and the leaders who have to carry these things out.

via Theweekuk.com

In short, we voted to leave and so we will leave. If we don’t, what was the point of the referendum? If this referendum’s purpose isn’t fulfilled, voter turnout for future referenda, or even just any kind of election, will surely plummet. Leaving the EU is something we’ve been promised. Not everyone wants to leave, sure, but the majority do and, as a democratic nation, we should get on with it. If we don’t leave for whatever reason, all those who voted will be very angry indeed at being promised something only to have it not go ahead. Brexit means Brexit, after all.



James Gibson
I'm a Classics graduate and have been writing for over three years. Hopefully going to go into novel writing some day. I'm mostly interested in theme parks and roller coasters - I've been on 300 coasters and plan on going on lots more!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

11,294FansLike
583FollowersFollow
759FollowersFollow

PEOPLE READING NOW

16 Badass Fictional Female Teens We All Secretly Wanted to Be Growing Up – Don’t Worry! Your Favourite #13 Is In the List!

Which fictional female taught you how to be a badass growing up? Was it Nancy from The Craft? Or Missy from Bring It On? Maybe it was someone else on this totally awesome list.

What’s Their Secret? 15 Celebrities Who Just Don’t Seem To Age

In the land of the rich and famous, celebrities always seem to look perfect and beautiful no matter what the time of day or...

Who Were The Most Influential Stars Of 2015 – #5 Will Make You Smile

We've picked out just some of the many stars who have made a huge impact on 2015 and will no doubt continue to be influential for many years to come.

16 Reasons Why David Beckham Is A God Amongst Men

There's no doubting that David Beckham is one of the biggest names in the world and he has been for over a decade and...

Do Actors Get Paid Far Too Much? We Answer Some Questions Here

The highest paid actors and actresses of 2017 so far were recently revealed. Mark Wahlberg was revealed as the highest earning actor, taking home a hefty $68 million, while Emma Stone was the highest earning actress thanks to her $26 million earnings.