They say the order of your birth shapes your personality, and whether this is a good or a bad thing depends where you are in the family pecking order. Being the firstborn has its perks, but also plenty of downsides. Here are a few things in life that all oldest siblings will definitely understand.
1) The youngest gets away with EVERYTHING.
Whether you’re one of five, or it’s just the two of you, the youngest still gets away with murder. Whereas you get away with absolutely nothing because you’re older and are supposed to “set a good example”.
2) You’re expected to pass on tidbits of wisdom, even if you don’t actually know what the hell you’re talking about.
“Yes mum, I can help *insert sibling’s name here* with their maths homework/learning to ride a bike/bungy jumping off the roof” etc.
3) And when you do rise to the occasion you get told off for “being bossy”.
You just can’t win.
4) Your parents could never understand why you didn’t find it cute that your bro or sis followed you around all the time.
5) And your parents expectations were always way higher for you than the rest of your siblings.
You were punished if you didn’t get straight As or were five minutes late for curfew, but by the time your siblings are old enough to do those things your parents are so exhausted they don’t care as long as they are just about scraping by.
6) On the plus side your parents took loads of photos of you, video recorded all of your firsts, etc, because at this point they still thought having children was exciting.
7) You also got the first pick of everything.
No hand me downs for you!
8) And you did get to blame some things on them.
Especially when they were still too young to defend themselves. Muahahahahhaha!
9) Still, despite all these benefits you have to accept that you’ll never be the favourite.
No matter how much better you are in every way possible.
10) And, no matter how old they get, your youngest sibling will always be ‘the baby’ of the family.
Nevermind that he or she is 25.