Canadian Nathan Calgary was out having fun with his friends alongside the Bow River in Alberta, when his phone fell into the water. He told CBS news: “I didn’t even bother looking for it. If I’d found it, it wouldn’t have worked.”
However, two weeks later, a mysterious photograph appeared on his Facebook profile.
It was of a group of smiling firefighters, but the image was attributed to Buhler himself, meaning someone had gained access. The image was captioned: “We found your phone its currently at #1 firehall.”
“I was shocked at first” said Buhler, who assumed someone was pranking him.
“My girlfriend sent me a text yesterday and said, ‘Have you seen your Facebook status?'”
His friends began commenting on the photo, wondering what the hell was going on. When everyone realised someone had come across the missing mobile they were amazed!
Soon more photos were added to the thread, and it looked as though the phone was having the time of its life! Each photo was accompained by a personal comment from the fun-loving device, which seemed to have suddenly developed a mind of its own.
It informed Nathan that it got to ride in a fire engine.
And try out the hose.
It learned how to cook: “Just helping the guys make some lunch.”
It had fun lifting weights.
“Hey Nathan look at me getting jacked.”
And won at ping-pong.
So how did Nathan’s phone survive its traumatic experience?
Turns out a firefighter happened to be paddle boarding down the river when he noticed the submerged phone. He brought it home, dryed it out and charged it and magically the device still worked! A cheeky crew member then began posting the images to Nathan’s profile to let him know his phone was alive.
The firefighters renamed the phone Hector Sanchez, and although Hector is back in Buhler’s posession, the name is sticking.
“I shall refer to my cellular device henceforth as Hector.”
Hector had a final pic with his new friends before going home with Nathan.
“All around pretty cool thing to have a phone returned that was missing for 15 days,” Buhler posted on Facebook. “Huge thanks to Calgary fire department for saving not just lives!”