For students who commute, university life can be very different from the students who live on the university campus. Your life becomes a constant bus or train journey, you’ll always be tired and you’ll feel more of a grown-up than your partying classmates.
Do you commute to university? Then you might just relate to these 13 situations:
1. Group projects are even more of a nightmare
Group projects are bad enough when everyone stays at the university but when you commute to university it’s even worse. You’ll probably find yourself doing all the project yourself at home.
2. You are desperate for snow on exam days
Unlike those in halls, students who commute have that ever hopeful chance that there will be a massive snow storm on the day of your exam. Uh oh, just have to build a snowman instead.
3. You like the idea of extracurricular activities and clubs…
But you’d rather be on that 5:15pm bus home.
4. Sometimes being a student who commutes makes you feel like an outcast
Having to go home means you miss out on the meet-ups after class and outings on weekends.
5. You have to get up at dawn in order to commute to class on time
6. But public transport means you get to nap on the way to university
Even if that means you sometimes fall asleep on the person beside you…
7. Although this bus/train travel costs an absolute fortune
You’d think you would be saving all this money by not staying in accommodation. Wrong. You’re more skint than ever.
8. When you forget coursework or a book, you can’t just nip to your dorm to get it
All students who commute know the pain of realising you’ve left an important piece of work you need at home.
9. The inner rage you get when you arrive at university to see your 9am class has been cancelled and no one told you
Well that was a waste of time getting up so early!
10. You’re guaranteed a day when you have a lecture at 9am and the next at 4pm
While everyone who lives on campus goes home for a nap, you’re left to twiddle your thumbs.
11. But you’re smug in the knowledge you don’t have to live with nightmare flatmates
We can only imagine how disgusting that shared bathroom is.
12. At least once a week you’ll have to have a mad rush to the bus because you’re late
It’s called the “students who commute exercise plan”.
13. You became the King/Queen of awkward conversations
When you commute at the same time every day you begin to recognise the other people on the bus or train. This leads to awkward conversations about the weather and Great British Bake Off.