We learn many things at school, from E = mc2 to the square root of Pi. But how much of that do we actually use in our lives today? The truth is, our most important life lessons were taught to us outside the classroom. Here are 15 pieces of knowledge teachers didn’t tell us:
1. Joined up handwriting is NOT easier!
Nor is it faster! I mean… how many of us use cursive writing in our daily lives? Scratch that! How many of us hand-write anything these days?!
2. The recorder is NOT an instrument!
Have you heard one of those things? It sounds like a rusty tea kettle!
3. Neither is the triangle!
No matter how many times you strike that metal bar, it will never be a worthy enough skill to add to your resume.
4. “I before e except after c” is total nonsense.
There was always somebody in the class that challenged the teacher over that phrase. “Miss? What about ‘species’? Or ‘science’? Or ‘concierge’?”
5. Getting detention doesn’t mean you’re a bad person.
Don’t worry, it didn’t go on your criminal record! As long as you didn’t get it too often, detention was a good thing as it helped you to learn from your mistakes.
6. There are very few things more enjoyable in life than rolling down a grassy hill.
What wasn’t enjoyable, was the telling off we got from our parents when we arrived home with a giant grass stain on our backsides!
7. Always eat Shredded Wheat.
Shredded Wheat is delicious, and it’s good for you. Whoever told you never to eat it needs their head examining.
8. Friendship is about quality, not quantity.
Being part of the popular crowd is not all it’s cracked up to be. The moment you leave school everyone goes their separate ways and it’s those few true friends that will still be there.
9. The difference between ‘cool’ and ‘uncool’ depended on the logo on your backpack.
It also depended on how many shoulders you wore it on too, apparently.
10. You don’t have to decide your career path right away.
No one is expected to leave school and be stuck with the same job for the rest of their lives. The only way you’ll find out what you really want is if you get as much experience in as many different areas as you can.
11. Never walk through the field while a javelin P.E. class is in session.
Even when they were made of rubber, they still hurt like hell!
12. Leaning back on your chair is one of the scariest experiences you will ever encounter.
Your heart has never thumped so hard!
13. On the other hand, pealing dried glue off your hands is the best kind of therapy.
To this day, scientists still haven’t discovered the reason why kids do this.
14. Your school year book doesn’t define you.
Who cares if you look ‘geeky’ in your photo, or you were labelled the “quietest girl in school” like this here writer. What matters most is that you’re becoming the person you want to be right now!
15. Change is a part of life
When you reach the end of your final year, you realise how quickly your life changes. So cherish these years while you have them because believe it or not, you will miss them.