Home Health Woman's Stomach Removed After Drinking Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail

Woman’s Stomach Removed After Drinking Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail

Have you ever heard of the liquid nitrogen cocktail? For the past few years the internet has been going crazy for the interesting addition being made to alcoholic beverages throughout various bars hoping to snare in the experimental by offering something a little different than the usual. As soon as it went viral however, it started to come with news stories that highlighted the dangers of the drink when ingested. This is just another one of those stories that has brought up whether or not the legitimate sale of these drinks should be allowed in bars throughout the country.

Courtesy of tab.co.uk
Courtesy of tab.co.uk

A wine bar called Oscar’s Wine Bar and Bistro are now being sued by a 20 year old woman named Gaby Scanlon to the tune of £100,000. After being offered a shot of Nitro-Jager for free on her 18th birthday, Scanlon complained of feeling agonising pain in her stomach while smoke came from her mouth and nose. After being forced to loosen her clothes in an attempt to feel better, she was taken to hospital where she was forced to have an emergency surgery in which her stomach was removed.

Courtesy of finediningliving.com
Courtesy of finediningliving.com

Since this sad case that led to a young woman needing life saving surgery, the validity of the use of liquid nitrogen as a form of consumption has been called into question. When it comes to this wine bar in particular, the judge stated “It’s astonishing that no risk assessment had ever been carried out. There was a failure to heed warnings and advice from a senior health and safety officer. Overall there is evidence of serious systemic failings within the organisation.” Liquid nitrogen, which is usually used to freeze off warts among other things, has a distinctive look that many find intriguing.

Courtesy of mirror.co.uk
Courtesy of mirror.co.uk

In a statement, the wine bar stated that, “The company and the family are truly sorry. At no time did they see anything warning them of the risks of ingestion. The essence of this calamity was the ignorance on the part of the company.” What do you think about this? Do you think that these types of drinks should be banned or do you think it’s at the discretion of the drinker? Perhaps there should be more information out there on the possibility of the drinks being fatal, meaning that all consumers know before they choose to buy.



Jake Ormrod
I am a freelance writer living in Manchester, finishing off my first novel for a Creative Writing MA. I write/read every day and have a borderline obsession with music and video games.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

11,137FansLike
541FollowersFollow
744FollowersFollow

PEOPLE READING NOW

8 Actors Replacements No One Noticed

If the actor leaves for whatever reason, sometimes their character is retired, but there's always the chance that the character is simply played by someone else. Here are 8 actors who got replaced only for no-one to notice.

15 Mythical Creatures We Wish Were Real 

With Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and all those other fantasy TV shows and films, there are plenty of mythical creatures on our screens.Here...

Amazing! Caitlyn Jenner Confesses She’d Transitioned Once Before!

It seems there's hardly a day goes by without another headline regarding the reality star and former athlete Caitlyn Jenner's amazing story of transitioning.As...

17 Geeky Kids That Cosplay Better Than You

Adults that cosplay are cool, but it's the kids that cosplay our favourite geeky things that really capture our hearts. There's something about seeing...

What these 20 Grown-ups Would Tell their 13-Year-old Selves – Krissy’s Comment is Hilarious

For many, being 13 is the worst. It’s the time when lots of change is happening in your world, and we’re not just talking...